Monday, September 5, 2011

Oil Cleansing Method or OCM

 I've never heard of it, until I read Rocailles blog post (one of my fave bloggers). Then I was intrigued and started to do a bit of research. Seriously I don't know how I didn't stumble upon this earlier; castor oil seems to the 'cure all' elixir. It can be use as a treatment for: 
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson's Disease
- Cerebral Palsy
- Hair loss
- Pain from Arthritis and Rheumatism
- Yeast Infections
- Constipation
- Gastrointestinal Problems
- Menstrual Disorders
- Migraines
- Acne
- Sunburn
- Athlete's Foot
- Ringworm
- Skin Abrasions
- Inflammation

It's a bit thick on its own and strong, not in scent (it barely has any) but in it's properties. So it is recommend that it should be diluted using other oils. I chose Jojoba and Sweet Almond Oil because I liked the combo, and because: 

Sweet almond oil key benefits are its skin softening properties. It also helps with irritations, cracks, eczema, diaper rash and all dermatosis.

Jojoba oil is very similar to sebum (oil secreted by our glands). So you can sort of fool your skin into reducing sebum production because it's already moisturized. It's non-toxic, non-comedogenic, and non-allergenic. Has a high concentration of Vitamin E, prevents free radical damage, and is antibacterial. It removes makeup, cleanses clogged pores and moisturizes your hair and skin.

So each person is different, and your ratios may vary. A rough recommendation:
  • Oily Skin: 30% castor oil to 70% other oil(s).
  • Balanced Skin: 20% castor oil to 80% other oil(s).
  • Dry Skin: 10% castor oil to 90% other oil(s).
My combo is 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 sweet almond oil, 1/3 jojoba oil, because my skin was in desperate need of something and I just didn't want to go the pharmaceutical way. 

I do the following every other day. After my long day I take out my bottle in which I mixed all the oils and without taking off my makeup first or washing my face I pump a bit into my palm and start to smooth and massage over my face. The scent is a bit nutty (almond oil) and sometimes it makes me hungry. I gently massage my face for about 10 - 15 minutes. At the very end I pump some more and gently wipe over my eyes to remove eye makeup and mascara Then I take a clean towel and wet it in the hottest water I can stand, wring it out, and put it on my face, letting the steam work it's magic. Once the towel is cool I gently wipe my face, and repeat 2-3 times. At the end my face feels incredibly smooth and moisturized, it glows, simply divine. I've used other beautiful cleansers, but none of them make my skin feel like this.

After my first use, the next morning, the difference in my skin was incredible. Red marks reduced, inflammation subsided, current breakouts on their way to being history. The effects have lessened as I continue to use it (meaning I don't have the dramatic differences each morning) because my skin has healed so much and is looking so much better these days ... well I think so anyways.

I don't see myself giving this up... ever. It's the cheapest, most non-toxic way to a clear healthy complexion. The only thing I see changing are the oils I dilute castor oil with. I'm thinking of trying sesame or grapeseed next.

2 comments:

  1. I use cosmetic grade mineral oil and massage it in quickly with warm water;then I use a wet face cloth to wipe of the excess. Lastly I use a soapless gel face wash (Avene) which actually lathers quite well and a little rubber scrubby thingy that I got with a L'oreal face wash. The gel wash is really gentle but gets rid of any left over oil on my skin. I like using mineral oil because it's cheap, perfectly safe (despite the intense fear and suspicion regarding mineral oil) and non-comedogenic. My skin has never looked better!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete