Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sake-kasu

I love sake... love it... it's my current favorite drink of choice, preferred warm...but will sip chilled as well :)

So when I learned Toronto has it's own sake brewing company, Jay and I had to check it out.  Ontario Spring Water Sake Company is located in the Distillery District, and is open to public for sake bottle purchase and tastings.

We went, we tasted, we didn't purchase sake, but we did purchase a couple of things. One of which is beauty related and meant for this post.

Sake-kasu are the residual rice particles obtained once the sake has completed fermentation and has been pressed.  It can be thought of as the lees of sake making... akin to lees from wine or beer making... but unlike those lees they are a bit more than by-product meant for the garbage.

Sake-kasu is rich in vitamin B6, folic acid, and fiber. It can be used for cooking, and the brewery had some dressings and miso soup mixes for sale, but it's also great for your skin as a topical treatment.
It looks creamy and solid in the container, sort of like tofu. It has a distinctive fermented sake scent, that won't appeal to some. The picture might fool you into thinking this product is grainy, but the consistency is quite smooth and creamy. High in Kojic acid it's great for lightening dark spots. I like to use it for weekly facials. I simply dilute it to my preferred consistency with sake or honey (because we have it), but you can use whatever you'd like... water or milk would work just as well. I apply to cleansed face and leave on for 20 min, then rinse and pat dry. Sake does make the mask dry and go tight on my face (it is alcohol), so I only use it when my face feels extra, extra greasy. Even with honey it dries down.
This mask makes my face feel purified, smooth, and refined. I also add a generous tablespoon or so of this to my bath water... my skin feels incredibly soft and pampered after soaking in some sake lees. Rice Sake Bath by Fresh at Sephora retails for $80.00 USD... a 250g container of pure sake-kasu retails for a whole lot less than that... I think it was under $10.00 CAD... now that's a purchase worth repeating.
mixed with honey
This natural beauty wonder has only one obvious drawback... it contains alcohol... therefore it is not for anyone who has alcohol allergies... otherwise I love it, and can't wait to go back for more tastings and another container of this wonderful stuff.

Below not looking pretty, but on my way :)... I also put my blog title on purpose right over my eyebrows because I was horrified at how unkempt they looked... yikes! sparse and unruly, not a winning combination :)

4 comments:

  1. I would have never tied sake to something beauty related...sort of a mind block but this seems worth trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know it does seem odd... but you can drink it, wear it, and soak in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. You can see what that actually means here:

    http://outsidebeautyinsidehealth.blogspot.com/2011/12/versatile-blogger-award.html

    xx

    ReplyDelete