Friday, January 27, 2012

YSL Forever Youth Liberator Serum - sample review

On his way home last week, Jay stopped by the YSL counter at Holts and picked up the 2012 Spring polishes for moi.
Since he's a frequent visitor to Holts, many of the SA's know him by name if not by face, and they know who all the treats are for :)

So the gorgeous YSL SA (and I mean gorgeous, this woman is like the sun, your gaze is drawn to her, but you can't stare for too long… it hurts :)). Well anyways she bestowed upon Jay a sample of YSL's Forever Youth Liberator serum. Three days worth to be exact, because and this is coming from her through Jay that if after 3 days I'm not wowed by the changes then I'll never be wowed. Well ok…..
 
I was nervous to use it, I mean I am pretty oblivious to settle changes. I'm never sure if my skin is glowy, dewy, luminous, or right down oily…  I don't know…

Anywho I did not want to be swayed by any online opinions so I didn't check if there are any online reviews, but I did google the price. Looking young doesn't come cheap…
30ml of the serum retails for £60 approximately $100 CAD
100ml of the serum breaks the bank at £100 over $300 CAD

and I grabbed this form YSL online UK version

INSPIRED BY GLYCOBIOLOGY, OUR 1ST SKINCARE WITH GLYCANS
TESTED UNDER INDEPENDENT CONTROL
YSL.SKINSCIENCE has developed a patented1 powerful serum enriched with a combination of 3 glycans to help increase youthful activity in skin cells.²
LIBERATE SKIN’S YOUTHFUL APPEARANCE WITH
FOREVER YOUTH LIBERATOR
88% agree skin looks more luminous³
72% agree fine lines appear less visible³
72% agree skin feels more plumped³
¹ Patents pending
² In Vitro Test
³ Self assessment on 50 women
SERUM
This elixir has the highest concentration of Glycanactif™.


There is a little bit more on glycobiology here - don't know how reliable the source is

The self assessment of 50 women is pretty useless as a scientific study. Where is the control group? Where are the independent dermatological comparison assessments between those 50 and the control group… the before and after shots???

I mean I look at the back of the packet, and I wish I majored in chemistry.
But regardless the line is aimed at women over 30 and so one fine morning, I analyzed my face and neck in the mirror for good 10 minutes. Took pictures (not sharing those)… and slapped on the serum for the next 3 days, morning and evening… In the morning after a wash, I toned first with my La Roche-Posay Effaclar Astringent Lotion, then the serum, then some Effaclar K. In the evening after cleansing, LRP toner, the serum, and Effaclar Duo.

Serum is lightly viscous, and a semi-opaque very light pink in color. It has a light YSL scent. Do you know what I mean? :) It's spreads easily, absorbs relatively quickly, and is non-greasy.

After 3 days… reanalyzed my skin… took pictures… and came to these conclusions…
1. I'm not wowed but I am happy.
2. Skin seems more even toned.
3. Texture does feels more plump, even and hydrated.
4. Aaaaaand this is a biggie, absolutely no breakouts, and the ones I had, really subsided.
5. Points 1 to 3 might be wishful delusional observations ... but 4 is the truth as I see it, for the past 3 days :)

So this is a "self assessment" of only 1 woman, and just as useless as YSL's version of 50… but there you have it :) If you give any of the products from this line a try, let me know… I'd love to know your experience.

Other than the serum, YSL Forever Youth line also includes:
- 3 types of face creams (one for normal/combination, one with spf 15, and one for dry skin), £60 approx. $100 CAD
- moisturizing fluid, £60 approx. $100 CAD
- eye cream (I promised myself that if the serum wows me I will invest in the eye cream, £40 approx. $60 CAD… I'll give it some more tought)
- cleansing foam, £35 approx. $55 CAD
- toner, £35 approx. $55 CAD

So will I invest in a bottle of YSL Youth Liberator Serum? Maybe, eventually, just so I can have a proper 30 day trial... but I'm not running out to get it... I have other things to use up first, and in the meantime contemplate if I really want to drop $100 CAD on 30ml of product...

8 comments:

  1. Nevermind that serum, those nail polishes look SO pretty! *sigh*
    (I don't have anything clever to say on the serum, 'cause I never use anti ageing stuff - though at 28 I probably should...)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree I'm in love with the polish colors... the serum... I have serious doubts about all anti-aging products... I think diet and exercise will keep me looking young more effectively than any cream or serum :)

      Delete
  2. OMG LUCY! the nail polishes look so gooooood! Im gonna leg it to the mall right now!!!! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. YSL has put out some gorgeous shades this season :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those YSL polishes look amazing!!!
    -Hayeley
    http://alwaysbeglamorous.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley... they are gorgeous, I can't wait to wear them :)

      Delete
  5. Hi im busy trying out the YSl youth liberator if you need more opinions great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. always interested in more opinions :)

    ReplyDelete