Wednesday, August 22, 2012

on Aug. 18, 2012 I became a Tough Mudder

Christmas 2011 sipping some wine with the family... little sister and her boyfriend show us an event they signed up for, and challenge us to join them. My older sister and I do so. I don't know, it was December the event wasn't until August... I had plenty of time. 

Older sister got down to some serious training and looks amazing. I hurt myself a couple of times, so always procrastinated... and I'm more runner then weight lifter... so by August I was confident in running the course, not so sure about any of the obstacles.

On Aug. 18th I faced a grueling 10 mile (approx. 16 km) challenge.
"Tough Mudder events are hardcore 10-12 mile obstacle courses designed by British Special Forces to test your all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. With the most innovative courses, half a million inspiring participants, and more than $3 million raised for the Wounded Warrior Project, Tough Mudder is the premier adventure challenge series in the world."
to find out more click HERE

There were thousands of participants. We begun the course in heats. Once one group left to become a part of the next you had to climb over a wall. Now I have enough upper body strength for a half an assisted pull-up... When I saw that wall I seriously thought that I was defeated even before I begun... seriously there was no ladder or step or grip of any kind for your feet or foot to lever yourself, just the freaking plank wall and your arms to get you over... Jay could not help he wasn't participating he was photographing... and due to some timing issues I was alone in my heat without my group to rely on for help...

But here I am absolutely ecstatic on the other side of the wall. No I didn't get some magical spurt of inhuman strength... but that sizable hunk of man behind me did what needed to be done...
 This awesome picture taken by my sister... you can always rely on family for the good shots :)... god you never realize how huge your ass is until you see someone's hands on it... this guy had a good firm grip and plenty of upper body strength... wisely he lifted with his legs not his back :)
My heat, all of us on one knee listening to one of the best pep talks ever... after our national anthem it was time to run...
Some of the obstacles I faced on my 16km uphill-downhill challenge:
Boa Constrictor, Electric Eel, Hangin' Tough, Hold Your Wood, Kiss of Mud, Log Bog Jog, Trench Warfare, Underwater Tunnels... and a few others... descriptions can be found here... one of Tough Mudder mottoes "This is not a race, this is a challenge"... I received a couple of helping hands when I really needed  :)... thank you fellow mudders :)

Me with only meters to go, and one last obstacle to face Electroshock Therapy... I can't even describe how tired I am here... filthy dirty... and just look at that crazy hair...
 post my celebratory beer... which tasted soooo good... it felt so delicious to take off my muddy sneakers...
they joined this mountain...
 then it was into the human washing machine to sud up and try my best to scrape off some of the mud...
my dinner... this was the only downer... the food selection was sad for a vegan or a vegetarian... they've run out of veggie patties too soon... but pickles and french fries were better than nothing... also along the course they had water and banana stations... I had 1.5 bananas before this feast :)
 the end of the day... reunited with my team at the start wall... we all managed to cross the finish line, sore and achy, but without any serious damage :)
 family being silly... cuz that's who we are...
 gravel not kind to my elbows...
 the next day I could barely move... everything hurt... everything... but we're already pre-registered for next year... TOUGH MUDDERS for life :)

2 comments: