Saturday, August 18, 2012

SheaTerra Organics 100% Pure African Black Soap

It looks like dirt. It smells like ash (campfire according to Jay). It is the best cleanser ever.

I have forgotten all about PTR. This stuff is so horribly awesome. I wrinkle my nose because it's not pretty, but I love it because it works.

The texture is coarse and grainy. When I first looked at it, I thought this might be better suited for fertilizing my plants than for scrubbing my body. But to shower with me it went…

Once by body is nice and wet, I scoop a bit of this into my palm, moisten it, try to emulsify it, then rub all over. The ash scent is strong, but not nausea inducing, not for me at least. The ingredient list is pretty simple: coco pod ash, plantain peel ash, palm kernel oil, camwood bark. I don't know which ingredient is responsible for it, but this has a nice soft lather. You are covering yourself in dirt, when you're all lathered up, you are smudged in brown-black, and your tub/shower is splattered with it, but proceed to rinse (yourself and your tub/shower) and you'll reveal a clearer layer of  your epidermis. However a note, rinse yourself very well... if any residue remains on your skin, it will stain your towel... and it won't wash out... a lesson learned from Jay :) We both follow with our regular cleansers after the African Black Soap treatment, because our towels are a lovely cream color... well except for that one :)

African Black Soap is highly recommend for blemish prone skin. It's summer, I use copious amounts of sunblock, I run, I'm not immune… this jar has become my savior. I would highly recommend it to anyone who gets body breakouts, clogged pores, or suffers from keratosis pilaris (I don't, but this feels like it would be good for it).

Can be used as a shampoo. I haven't... I like my regular shampoos... but eventually I might.

Can be used as a face wash. But I won't. I find this too coarse and abrasive to scrub my face with. I have a another black soap product for that job. Talk about it soon.

Drawback, it is packaged in a dark glass jar (all the products I got from SheaTerra Organics are). Glass and tub/shower just don't go well together. I transferred my soap to a plastic container I saved from a previous product.

A 6.6 oz jar retails for $22 CAD, well worth it for a clean blemish and bump free epidermis.

And here is the back of the jar for you :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! It's super helpful. I've been wanting to try SheaTerra's black soap line, because I also have acne-prone skin, especially for the summertime. I'll definitely have to look into this. :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you'll love it as much as i do :)

      Delete
  2. I went a bit crazy on their website and bought a whole bunch of things ... I have no control ... its all or nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it runs in the family :) you have to tell me what you spent your pennies on :)

      Delete