Friday, May 10, 2013

CHANEL Eastern Light and Illusion D'Or - nail polish swatch

I bought Eastern Light in March while we were in Vegas. I didn't find the color especially unique or interesting, but I do love the Chanel logo and the limited aspect of this polish. Eastern Light (and Western Light which I also purchased) were released as part of the HONG KONG DE CHANEL Collection. A collection to celebrate the opening of a Chanel boutique in Hong Kong. 

While it all sounds nice, I feel I should have just let this one go. I don't know how often I will reach for it. Maybe when I feel like sporting crackle on my nails this will be a good base.
But that day I went all Chanel on my nails in the order pictured.
Eastern Light is a bright white shade. It's that "you have whiteout on your nails" look. But it's not the color that bothers me, as much as the consistency of it. It felt thick and gloppy. It did not apply evenly, and it streaked. A little voice in my head told me I needed 3 coats, but I just settled for 2. It wasn't a joy to apply. Once I sort of managed it, I hated the look. I don't know why I thought this would be a good spring color, really it brings snowy winter days to mind.  

To dilute the ugliness on my nails I put a coat of Chanel Illusion D'Or (this I got via e-bay a long time ago). I think I managed to achieve an even more christmasy feel :). 

As this became a "lost cause" manicure, I slapped on some OPI Navy Crackle on my ring finger… and viola… good thing this mani was mainly seen in a very poorly lit restaurant. It was rather hideous.
Also even-though I used drying drops to speed up the drying process. This polish never really cured. I took this picture the next day, after I've reached into my jean pocket for something. I pull out my hand and I was left with a fabric imprint on my nail. 
So Eastern Light, is in the corner of the nail polish drawer… with very slim chances of seeing daylight anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. Cute mani! Illusion D'or is beautiful and so sparkly! :-)

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete