Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Goodbye my Friend...

Yesterday my husband and I said goodbye to our bestie of 14 years. We first met her when she was 8 weeks old, and it was love at first sight.

This past February, she was diagnosed with cancer. It was inoperable, and chemo had no effect. We tried to give her a comfortable and pain-free life for as long as we could. I knew this day was coming, but I was still surprised, shocked, and sad when it finally arrived. It happened so fast.

Saturday she was fine, and Sunday started out like any other Sunday. She was up at 5am, had a walk, another walk at 9. But she didn't eat most of her breakfast (and for something so little, she had a healthy appetite). She did gobble up her medication with peanut butter. At 1pm she had hard time standing, but she was napping with a smile on. She had only 3 bites of her dinner, and refused peanut butter. She drank water, and napped. At 11pm (her regular bedtime, when she sleeps soundly until at least 5), she seemed a bit restless. Had a hard settling down. By 1am she could no longer stand on her own, and was refusing water. By 2 am we were at the VEC (Veterinary Emergency Clinic). I was barely holding it together. I knew the sand in her hourglass was running out, and there were no more Tuesday mornings in her future. We took her to VEC for them to give her a strong painkiller, so that she would be comfortable and could rest until we could see our vet (who also knew her for 14 years).

I didn't sleep, all I had were hours left with her. We went to see our vet at 2pm on Monday (she's usually in the office at 5, but she came in early to see us).  We said very, very teary goodbyes... and by 2:40pm Honey moved on to the big comfy couch in the ever-after.

I miss seeing her happy face whenever I walk through the door, I miss her lumberjack snores, I miss the way her paws would smell while she was sleeping, I miss the scent of her head, the feel of her ears, I miss having her touch me to pet her... I miss my 5am alarm clock.
real fur on faux fur :) ... this blanket was her favorite to snore on... almost as soft as she was :)
I knew I was going to be a mess when she passed on... I just didn't expect to be such a mess when she passed on.

I miss her.

8 comments:

  1. awwh so sorry to hear about your little dog. We lost ours in March so know exactly what you are going though. It does get easier and you'll remember her and smile x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there sis the pain will eventually pass and you and Jay will have many wonderful and happy memories of Honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so so sorry for your loss. :( *hugs*

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucynka, it is hard now however you will always remember her and you will smile.

    ReplyDelete