Tuesday, October 21, 2014

It's OK - Lancôme Grandiôse Mascara

My original thought was to repurchase Smokey Eye by Bobbi Brown, but Penelope Cruz ads swayed me just a tad and I decided to  finish of 2014 with Grandiôse.
As I've mentioned in my videos, I purchase 4 mascaras a year. On schedule every 3 months I replace the old with something new. This is how I justify a mascara splurge, and tend to stay away from drugstore brands.

Now Grandiôse has received a  bit of hype and press, especially within the beauty community, and so I wanted to experience it for myself.

This is one of the pricey ones, $35 CAD and I got mine at Sephora.

First off the packaging is gorgeous. I'm of the same opinion as a certain beauty maven who compared it to a nail polish bottle. I do agree, it does look like something polish could be housed in. Beautiful shape, from the black Lancôme rose in the cap to the gently rounded belly.

 But its what's inside that really matters. First of, the wand and brush. The "swan neck" shaped wand is fantastic; design genius. When you hold the brush near your eye, the angle of the wand allows the brush to hit your lashes at the perfect angle, allowing you to easily sweep the formula from roots to tips, from inner corner to outer corner.

But the formula and the brush itself leave me wanting. Combined they're not really good at separating the lashes. In the first days the formula was a tad too wet for my liking, and it was a struggle not to end up with spidey lashes. It's not a look that works for me or one that I like. Now after three weeks of use, the formula is less wet, the clumping easier to manage, but it's still a daily morning struggle. I have mascara on my eyes, but I don't feel as if this has added any volume, length, and it definitely fails at separation.

I will not repurchase and I would not recommend it. At $35 a pop, it's not something that I'll throw away either; it would eat away at me to waste money like that. I take comfort in the fact that in just a little bit over two months, I'll be going back to a favorite. Because this mascara isn't horrible by any means, it's just not anything fantastic either... and at that price point it should at least come close.

No comments:

Post a Comment