Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sephora Solid Brush Cleaner

There was a time when I used to clean every single makeup brush I used right after I used it. Then I got tired of the hassle and time each morning I spent doing it, not to mention the money spent on brush cleaners (specifically this one).

Through a Michelle Phan video I learned to clean my brushes with extra virgin olive oil and plain dish soap. It was a money saving revelation. My brush cleaning routine changed as well. The only things I continue to clean daily are my eye gel brush (if used) and whatever I applied my foundation with that morning (brush or beauty blender). Everything else gets a deep cleanse once a week on Sunday.

I’ve decided on this approach for two reasons:
1. Once I settle on a colour scheme on Monday, I rarely switch it up during the week. So if it’s the same colour I reach for, I don’t feel the need to wash my brush.
2. My hands are clean during makeup application. My face freshly washed and moisturized. Whatever germs I harbour that day, I count on my immune system to deal with. I also figure without me as a host/food source, any germs on my brushes expire without sustenance throughout the day and night.

This might not be a routine for you, but it’s been working really well for me for quite some time now; and I’m happy and comfortable with my weekly cycle.

EVOO and dish soap served me well. But now I’m on a search for something more compact and even easier to use. Here come solid brush cleaners. I know these work out to be more expensive, but I like ease of use, ease of portability, and well I just want to try something new.

During the VIB Rouge sale in November, I wanted to acquire the Beauty Blender solid brush cleaner. But by the time I got around to it, it was sold out. A Sephora SA suggested this one. It looked promising and it’s also about 3 bucks cheaper than BB, so I bought it.

Included with the puck of soap is a small pink textured silicone disc. It’s nice for cleaning small fluffy brushes, but doesn’t really work for me when it comes to big face brushes. Storing the soap puck on top of it, prevents it from sticking to the bottom of the container (if like me, most days you don’t have time to wait for it to dry before putting it away).

This has a pleasant enough smell, and I like that it is infused with argan oil… but I don’t like the product itself. It takes a lot of brush swirling to get the suds volume I want (I’m using this up quickly); and while my powder brushes come away nice and clean, this doesn’t do a great job at cleaning my eye gel brush or beauty blender. It takes a lot more effort to get the product out than it did with oil and dish soap.

So I’ve tired it, and I’m moving on. I don’t like it, much less love it. Can’t recommend it, although majority of reviewers on Sephora site disagree with me.

I have two more solid brush cleaning products I want to try (one of them BB, which I recently acquired)… then it might be back to the good old oil and dish soap combo again.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the review and I can definitely say I know what to stay away from! I agree with Michelle completely about the olive oil. It works wonders on your brushes. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, tried and true and wallet friendly as well... I don't think I'll find anything better than oil and dish soap :)

      Delete