Monday, April 17, 2017

Going Cruelty Free

Tomorrow Sephora's spring sale starts (for VIB Rouge members at least)... I was reviewing my online basket, and it struck me that I want all my products to be cruelty free. It was sudden  and immediate, and since I have access to high-speed internet, I can not pretend ignorance of "I did not know"...

I don't have a transition period for most things... it just happens all at once, and I can't and don't want to ease myself into it. I just adapt, don't regret and move one. Example, for years I had long hair, and I mean loooong... one day I just could not deal with one more tangle, and just chopped it all off... no regrets... freedom and lightness instead. Yoga... April of last year... signed up started going 5-7 days a week and and still going strong (can't do any kind of arm balance, but here's to someday). Diet... when I'm onto something I'm onto it... when I'm not, I'm not. I don't know if that makes sense... it's just a part of who I am.

So cruelty-free... and I mean completely, because a brand might claim to be cruelty free but if you sell your products in China you're not (there that's the law). Example, Jurlique... one of my (now past) faves. Once China's laws change and Jurlique updates their page, I'll be happy to spend my money on this brand again.

If you're owned by a parent company that tests on animals, you're not (in my books at least). This might be a bit of a grey area... because you can view it as by supporting the cruelty-free brand you're sending a message to the parent, that hey maybe you should re-think your practices. Example, NARS is cruelty free, but they are owned by Shiseido which is not.

If I can't find your position on animal testing, or your status is muddled, you're out. Example, Peter Thomas Roth claims it's cruelty free but can't vouch for any of their ingredient suppliers.

So let me tell you when I made this decision, I felt sudden lightness, and removed everything that did not fit the bill from my basket and loves list. I felt as if I physically decluttered my life. The idea that my future (and some current) makeup/skin care has not been worn by an animal feels right.

Now lets back peddle a bit... because I've been a beauty junkie for years... and my collection includes a lot of products from brands who do test on animals... EL being one of them. I don't plan to trash it, I just plan to be more conscientious consumer from now on, use up what I can, and hope beauty practices change.

No comments:

Post a Comment